Justice & Peace, Integrity of Creation Lay Network (JPIC)
The JPIC network meets twice yearly in Kingston, Ontario and had its most recent meeting in June 2016. Representatives came from Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto and Kingston. Brian Dwyer from the Canadian Augustinian Centre for Social Justice (CACSJ) was part of the group. The meeting dealt with several updates and provided some new information as well. The highlights follow.
- Various “Town Hall” sessions are occurring across Ontario on the theme of climate change
- Marguerite Bourgeoys Place in Kingston will have 95 more units
- Kingston held a series of sessions on Laudato Si and was very successful
- Ontario has a new Minister of Citizenship and Immigration – Laura Albanese
- The Sponsorship Agreement Holder’s agreement with the Federal Government will expire in December 2016 and a new one will be negotiated and take effect in January 2017
- United Nations is hosting a high level meeting on the large movement of peoples around the world in September 2016 in New York. Please visit their site: Large Movements of Refugees and Migrants
The chapter has been submitted to the Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops (CCCB) and it is being edited with all the other chapters written by various groups.
A conference will be held in May 2018 to close out the project.
“Canada 150” is a project which names 150 people who have worked for peace.
April 9, 2017 is the 100th anniversary of the battle at Vimy Ridge
ENVIRONMENTAL STEWARDSHIP GUIDE
This guide is in use in the Ottawa Archdiocese. The Assembly of Bishops of Ontario (ACBO) has it on their website. There will be a new guide published after the CCCB publishes their document on Laudato Si.
The World Day of Prayer for Creation is September 1.
CLIMATE ACTION RESOURCES
Several resources were discussed and websites provided.
- A public justice vision for Canada’s Climate Action Plan.
- Infographic: Christian Voices for Climate Change
- Add Your Voice to Canada’s Climate Plan
- “It’s Time to Stand Together” – Anglican Journal Article
DIGNITY FOR ALL
People are encouraged to sign on to the campaign at: Dignity for All
International Day for the Eradication of Poverty is October 17, 2016